Letter: Commissioners wish to meet with sheriff
An open letter to Wyandotte County Sheriff Leroy Green Jr.
Dear Sheriff Green:
As elected officials, we have obligations to serve the citizens of Wyandotte County/Kansas City, Kan., for the betterment of our community. The philosophical difference between the Unified Government and you regarding the operation of the Wyandotte County Detention Center has divided our community. It is not our intent to tell you how to run the jail, however, we have specific obligations defined by Kansas Statute that we must fulfill. In order to do that, we must have a clear understanding of all the issues pertaining to the Wyandotte County Detention Center.
We are requesting a meeting with you so that we can begin the process of bridging the gap that currently exists, and develop a good working relationship for the betterment of our community. We look forward to hearing from you.
Nathan Barnes, Commissioner, District One
Rev. Ernest Lewis Jr., Commissioner, District Four
Benoyd M. Ellison, Commissioner, District Eight
More like this story
- Kansas City Connection: Banjos and beignets
- K-State's response to open records request shows difficulty
- Kansas City Connection: Sorting through the hoopla of the Big 12 tournament
- Organization Orientation: Bonner Springs Rotary Club
- Bonner drama club provides performance outlet for secondary students