Hovey’s 79 wins junior golf tournament
James Hovey, a 15-year-old Bonner Springs resident, shot his best score of the summer and won the Sunflower Hills Junior Golf League's season-ending tournament with a 7-over par 79.
The league itself lasted eight weeks and ended with the tournament on July 31. Hovey, competing in the 14-and- older division, beat the second-place finisher by four strokes to win the tournament.
Tournament director Jeff Johnson said the 79 was Hovey's best score of the summer and that typically a score between 76 and 80 wins the tournament.
In the tournament's seven years, Johnson said he has seen several quality golfers and that Hovey is another on that list.
"James steadily improved each week this summer and if he continues to work at it, he'll become a fine golfer," Johnson said.
More like this story
- Kansas panel considers limits on public workers' bargaining
- Kansas House panel to vote on freezing green energy mandate
- Kansas House panel to review Democratic lawmaker's remarks
- Proposal to hike ag land taxes spawns backlash from Kansas farmers
- Kansas abortion foes seek change in law to help with lawsuit