Archive for Thursday, January 4, 2001

Couple’s house damaged in fire

January 4, 2001

A Basehor couple's home received heavy interior damage in a Christmas night fire.

Fairmount Township Fire Department firefighters responded to a residence fire at 16580 Deer Track on Christmas evening.

Sandy and Deborah Seabo, owners of the residence, left the house to take their grand children to the movies, according to authorities.

A neighbor saw smoke coming from the house, located in the Ginger Creek sub-division, and other neighbors began to run to the house.

"I just thank God no one was in there and they even saved the family's puppy," said Tammy Potts.

Although neighbors were quick to respond to the house, by the time firefighters arrived, the slow burning fire had spread throughout the living room.

The fire was quickly contained, but heavy smoke damage was found throughout the house.

Estimated damage to the residence was $50,000 and no one was injured, according to Sgt. Andy Dedeke with the Leavenworth County Sheriff's Office.

Fire investigators said a timer that was on or nearby a grand piano inside the residence apparently short-circuited, igniting the fire in the living room, according to the fire officials.

The Seabo's aren't living in the house at the time because of the smoke damage; however, not all of the their belongings were damaged.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.