City Council tables Cabinet Shop issue
The demolition of a building in downtown Basehor could end up costing the city between $14,000 to $28,000 in expenses, city officials said.
On Friday, May 5, the Cabinet Shop of Basehor on 155th Street was destroyed by a fire that started in the wood working area.
At the Basehor City Council meeting Monday, Sept. 17, the City Council was scheduled to take action on an agreement that would begin the demolition process on the building.
The City Council tabled the issue so it could research the possibility of obtaining state funds to help pay for the demolition.
City officials said the initial bids for the demolition would cost approximately $38,500. Presently, Cabinet Shop owner Ken Lindsley would be responsible for $10,000 of that cost, leaving the city to pay for the remaining $28,500, city officials said.
The city's portion could be lessened if and when Lindsley sells the property.
"Hopefully, when the Lindsleys' sell the property they can pay the city back," Basehor City Codes Administrator Mike Hooper said.
The problem with financing the demolition stems from the insurance on the property at the time of the fire.
Hooper said the mortgage on the building was more than what the insurance covered.
In addition to paying for the demolition of the building, City Council members were also worried that paying for the building's removal would set a bad precedent for other businesses in the city.
"There are several problems," City Council member Chris Garcia said. "It is an eye sore and a safety problem. Would this set a precedent that the city is going to pay for tearing down underinsured businesses?
"I think as a business owner they should have some responsibility on it."
It has been the determination of the City Council to remove the building as soon as possible because it poses a safety risk to the public.
Should anyone get hurt being inside or around the building, the city could be held liable, city officials said.
Basehor Police Chief Vince Weston said members of the Police Department have seen people inside the building when they weren't supposed to be.
"It should be condemned and there should be nobody inside the building and that is not happening right now," Weston said.
Basehor City Attorney John Thompson said the city and property owners have been working on a solution to the problem but no plans had been finalized yet.
Hooper said he expected there to be a resolution of the situation by the October Basehor City Council meeting.
While one business is up for removal, another one could be coming to the city in the near future.
During the Monday night meeting, City Council members were given a business plan for a proposed new restaurant in the city of Basehor.
The restaurant would be located in the Crestwood Country Estate subdivision on 155th Street in Basehor. Restaurant manager and Basehor resident Pernell Dye was scheduled to address the council but did not attend the meeting for undisclosed reasons.
However, City Council members seemed impressed by the plan for the restaurant named The Courtyard Caf
"If they are going to do even 70 percent of what the conceptual plan says then I am in favor of it," Basehor City Council president Joe Scherer said.
After briefly reviewing the plan, Basehor Mayor Bill Hooker agreed with Scherer.
"I think that is the consensus of everybody," Hooker said.
According to the business plan given to the council, the restaurant would be located on two acres of ground and would include three dining rooms, a courtyard patio, a bar and a 1,800 square foot reception facility. The restaurant would also serve breakfast, lunch and dinner.
City officials said the restaurant is currently working on financing details, but has asked the Council for support.