Archive for Wednesday, February 27, 2002

Local firefighter, rabbit OK following brush with fire

February 27, 2002

A firefighter that sustained some first-and second-degree burns during a fire Friday, Feb. 22, was treated and has since recovered, Fairmount Township Fire Department officials said.

The fire occurred in the 16000 block of Linwood Road. According to the Leavenworth County Sheriff's Department, the property owner believes a wood-burning stove caused his tool shed to catch fire.

The shed was unattached to the property owner's home and the total estimated is $100,000, police said.

Firefighter Greg Krouse, also a senior at Basehor-Linwood High School, was taken to Providence Medical Center following the fire for treatment of the burns.

Fairmount Township firefighter Mark Lindeville was on the same hose as Krouse and said Krouse sustained burns from heat seeping through his suit.

Krouse's injuries were minor and he is now back to training with the Fire Department, Lindeville said.

It appears that Krouse wasn't the only one injured during the Friday afternoon blaze.

A rabbit housed in the tool shed, was taken from the building and given oxygen at the scene by firefighters.

Bonner Springs firefighter Lori Crabb said she didn't actually give the rabbit mouth-to-mouth resuscitation because the situation didn't require it.

"If it had been warranted, I probably would have," Crabb said.

Crabb said she did help administer oxygen to the fallen rabbit via an oxygen mask.

And while she has given mouth-to-mouth to people before, Crabb said she didn't have the "privilege" to use her skills on the rabbit this time. Instead, she talked to the rabbit and scratched behind its ears while helping give it oxygen.

She said she was pleased to know the rabbit survived its brush with danger.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.