City Council fills empty posts
Basehor city government got a face lift Monday, Nov. 18, when two new officials were installed and a new council president was appointed.
City Council member Julian Espinoza was voted as council president, 4-1. Joe Odle was the lone opposition to Espinoza's appointment.
"As with anything, I think it's always interesting to have a new position," Espinoza said.
"We needed to fill the void and I'm glad we were able to get it filled," he added.
The president's position and council vacancy stem from the fallout of former Basehor mayor Bill Hooker's resignation in August. At that time, council president Joe Scherer was appointed mayor following the resignation, so a new president and another council member was needed.
Keith Sifford was appointed to fill the City Council vacancy Monday night.
Sifford, 47, has lived in Basehor since 1984. He has never held public office.
"I certainly have a vested interest in the community," Sifford said. "I look forward to doing the best we can for Basehor and the community."
City Council members also appointed a new Planning Commission member during the meeting.
Jason Logsdon was approved by council members, 5-0.
In other action, the City Council;
- Approved an annexation agreement with the Pinehurst development, located on Kansas Highway 24/40, across the street from the Basehor Town Square.
The development will feature commercial, retail and industrial businesses, as well as some housing.
- Approved contractor payments for the Falcon Lakes subdivision.
- Approved a cereal malt beverage license for Casey's General Store.
- Approved a petition for annexation submitted from Zarda Brothers. The developers own 12 acres near the Falcon Lakes subdivision.
- Approved a resolution and ordinance for easement of Kelley's Bar and Grill property.
- Approved an extra-territorial jurisdiction ordinance.
- Approved a charter ordinance authorizing the assessment of court costs.
- Approved an ordinance pertaining to municipal court costs.
- Approved the acceptance of grant funds for 158th Street project.
The next Basehor City Council meeting is scheduled for 7 p.m. Dec. 16.