Archive for Wednesday, October 2, 2002

Two men charged in attack on coach

Player’s relatives, coach exchange fisticuffs

October 2, 2002

The action of a football game usually takes place on the field.

But two spectators took the action to another level following the Basehor-Linwood High School freshman game Monday, Sept. 30 against Santa Fe Trail at the high school.

Two men Basehor resident Terry Call and Donald Adams allegedly attacked BLHS assistant coach Travis Scwartz after the game.

Scwartz was walking back toward the locker room when Call and Adams accosted him about 6:15 p.m. near the concession stand, police said.

Call, 43, is the father of a Bobcat freshman football player and Adams, 65, is the player's grandfather, police said.

Call and Adams allegedly were upset because Scwartz reprimanded Call's son during the game.

Whether the reprimand was physical or verbal is not known, police said.

Both men are charged in Basehor Municipal Court with assaulting a school official and disorderly conduct. They were taken to Leavenworth County Jail and later released.

However, Scwartz is not charged with any crime relating to the incident.

Police said eyewitness testimony exonerated the coach.

"According to witnesses, it was all self-defense on the coach's part," Basehor police officer Martin Cigich said.

"The coach was trying to talk to them," he added.

Police said Call struck Scwartz with a fist, while Adams tried to put the coach in a headlock."We are conducting our own investigation to see what actually did transpire," Hatfield said.

"We're hoping we can find a film of the incident," he added.

Hatfield said the school does not condone abuse toward a player or student. However, he doubts Scwartz did anything to provoke the attack.

"The only adult witness I have spoken to said the coach did nothing to warrant the behavior of the two gentlemen," Hatfield said.

School officials described Scwartz as well liked by players and parents, and there are no reported incidents of the coach abusing players.

Police said Call and Adams posted bail Monday night, approximately $470 each.

An arraignment hearing has been scheduled for 7 p.m. Nov. 7 in Basehor Municipal Court.

The incident at BLHS comes on the heels of two other local examples of parents and fans taking action against coaches or referees.

In September, two unruly fans assaulted Kansas City Royals first base coach Tom Gamboa during a game in Chicago.

More recently, University of Kansas football coach Mark Mangino apologized for berating a referee following his son's high school football game.

The actions have had consequences.

The two Chicago men were charged with aggravated assault and disorderly conduct, and Mangino is barred from watching his son's game from the sidelines.

It remains unclear whether the consequences for Call and Adams will extend beyond the courtroom.

Hatfield said a decision on whether the two men can attend future BLHS activities is pending the outcome of the investigation.

School officials said they were more concerned with the example Monday night's incident sets for students and players.

"We're most worried about the kid and the kids," Hatfield said. "What was modeled for them was the antithesis of what we want modeled for them.

"The kids here know that that is not tolerated."

"The coach then started fighting in self-defense," Cigich said.

Onlookers separated the fight, police said.

Scwartz, a first-year coach, has been placed on three-day administrative leave from the Bobcat football program.

BLHS principal Bill Hatfield said the leave of absence was not a suspension but a "cooling off period."

BLHS officials will consult with police and conduct an internal investigation.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.