Archive for Wednesday, September 18, 2002

Bobcats KO’d by Kaws

September 18, 2002

As it turned out, the moment of silence was literally the calm before the storm.

Before Basehor-Linwood's home opener against Perry-Lecompton Sept. 13, the teams had a moment of silence to commemorate the tragedy of Sept. 11, 2001. Team captains for both teams raised the American flag.

"The ceremony before the game was important," Basehor-Linwood head coach Paul Brown said. "We did something similar last year. It is important to remember those affected by the tragedy and the heroes that came out of it."

One quarter after the game began, a storm hit Basehor. Due to lightning, the officials postponed the game at 7:25 p.m. until the storm passed. By 9 p.m., the storm had not let up, so officials decided play could not resume that night.

Play resumed Saturday at 2 p.m, but after three more quarters, Perry-Lecompton escaped Basehor with a 13-12 victory.

Neither team was able to gain an advantage in the first quarter. Both BLHS and Perry-Lecompton punted once and fumbled once. At the end of the first quarter, the score was knotted at 0-0.

Late in the first quarter, the wind picked up. By the time the quarter ended, the lightening was too close for comfort, so play stopped.

Brown said he would rather not have had a stoppage, but the result did not benefit either team.

"Stopping play had an important impact," Brown said. "Our kids were really into it emotionally Friday. When you're so geared up to go, it's hard to come back. The weather wasn't a factor because it's that way for both teams. It's the same thing from the emotional standpoint, too."

When the game resumed Saturday, rain still covered Basehor, but this time, the offenses had more success.

Perry-Lecompton struck first. The Kaws used a 50-yard run to the 9-yard line to put themselves in position.

The BLHS defense stopped Perry-Lecompton on the next three plays bringing up a fourth and goal from the 4-yard line. On fourth down, the officials called the Bobcats for pass interference creating an automatic first down.

On the next play, PLHS scored on a halfback dive with 7:24 remaining in the half.

The rest of the half belonged to Basehor-Linwood, as they showed some offensive explosiveness.

On the next play, John Clouse took a toss sweep 74 yards to the endzone. A holding penalty brought the play back, but it showed some of what was to come.

The Bobcats had to punt, but on their next possession, Clouse broke another long run for a 61- yard touchdown. This time, the score stood. The extra point looked like a replay of Perry-Lecompton's as the visitors blocked the kick. At 3:06, the Bobcats tied the score 6-6.

Less than two minutes later, the Bobcats struck again. On the first play of their next drive, Adam Smith connected with Albert King streaking down the right sideline. The pass went for 67 yards and another touchdown with 1:36 left in the half.

BLHS faked the extra point attempt, and the pass fell incomplete.

At the half, the Bobcats led 12-6.

"We finally were able to show our explosiveness on offense," Brown said. "We had some big plays. Adam Smith continued to play well for a first year starter at quarterback. Albert King played his best game on both sides of the ball."

The Kaws started the second half with a 9:22 drive that resulted in seven points. They converted six first downs on the drive including two fourth down conversions. The touchdown would be the final scoring of the game putting Perry-Lecompton up for good, 13-12.

"Kids still need to learn what we are asking of them which is a team defense, not just an individual one," Brown said. "We're a little inexperienced, so it won't come right away. We just need to work on the technical aspect and recognize when to step up the tenacity and stop them from getting that last yard for a first down."

The Bobcats are disappointed but not discouraged.

"We should have won that game, and I told the kids that, but we can't get discouraged," Brown said. "We've started 0-2 before and had successful seasons, so we're not discouraged.

Clouse led the Bobcats' rushing attack with 73 yards on 7 carries. Smith completed 5 of 6 passes for 101 yards. King had one catch for 67 yards. Brandon Dye had two receptions for 24 yards.

Defensively, Ross McCoy and Jake Brown each had 14 tackles.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.