Road project nearly done
Road construction on a one-mile section of Leavenworth County Road 2 won't be completed until next week, said David Lutgen, county public works deputy director.
In May, construction crews began widening the road on a mile stretch from Evans Road south to Kansas Avenue. The $1.2 million project should wrap up by next week when permanent stripes and road signs are added, Lutgen said.
Crews are laying the last of the new asphalt this week, the deputy director added.
Because of the road conditions, and with schools back in session Friday, visitors to Glenwood Ridge Elementary School will have to enter the school from the north, Lutgen said.
He said northbound motorists will turn west off County Road 2 onto Metropolitan Avenue, then turn north on 166th Street, east on Evans Road and then rejoin Road 2 heading south to get to the elementary school. Those coming from the north can access the school from County Road 2, Lutgen said.
Next year, county officials plan to widen another one-mile stretch of County Road 2, from Evans Road north to Kansas Highway 24/40.
More like this story
- Given development potential, Basehor studies incentives
- 3 suspects in custody after high-speed police chase ends in Lawrence
- Kansas university finds creative way to test drones outside
- Basehor considers plans for stormwater drainage near 155th and Parallel
- Study: Many Kansas Turnpike accident hotspots near Lawrence