Basehor ‘suspicious man’ has not surfaced again
A suspicious man, harassing women as they returned home, has not resurfaced since Basehor police issued public warnings concerning the stranger, Chief Vince Weston said this week.
"No suspicious reports have been filed," Weston said. "We haven't had any since the initial reports."
Earlier this month, police responded to two separate residences, in which an unknown man attempted to make contact with women returning home. The incidents occurred on Sunday, Aug. 3, and a day later, on Monday, Aug. 4.
During the first incident, the unknown man tried to forcefully enter a private residence, and during the second, he grabbed a woman by the arms. Neither of the two women were harmed and the assailant fled on foot, police said.
Weston asked that residents continue to be aware of their surroundings. Police suggest the following precautions to help to deter crimes outside the home:
- Make sure the home's exterior is well lit.
- Lock all doors and secure windows.
- Secure vehicle doors.
The police chief added that officers are still searching for the unknown man for questioning.
"Stay aware and stay alert," Weston said. "When returning home, have your keys and a cell phone in hand, and if someone is letting you inside, call ahead of time and tell them you're on your way."
The public warnings regarding the unknown man isn't the only alert proving valuable in helping stem the flow of crime in Basehor. Police said a rash of burglaries has tapered off as well.
Earlier this summer, several reports were filed with the police department in which a business and several vehicles were broken into. There have been only three car burglaries since then, police said.