Archive for Thursday, November 6, 2003

Grant puts laptops in police cars

November 6, 2003

Just know they're not surfing the Internet.

If passersby see Basehor police officers in a patrol car working on a laptop computer, it's because they're completing police reports and not checking the latest sports scores.

The Basehor Police Department learned this week that it has been awarded a grant for $7,020 to help fund the purchase of a desktop computer for the police station and up to three laptop computers for patrol cars.

The Federal Local Law Enforcement Block Grant will pay 90 percent of the cost. The city must pay the remaining 10 percent, approximately $780.

Police officers said the laptop computers will increase the time officers will be on patrol. Previously, officers filled out police reports at the police station.

The laptops will enable officers to complete reports at the scene, decreasing time spent at the station. Once the computers are purchased, each patrol car will be outfitted with a laptop.

The desktop unit will replace an outdated computer at the station, officers said.

Basehor police applied for the grant in October and received confirmation of the grant award Monday, Nov. 3. The City Council must approve the city's share of the grant before the computers can be purchased.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.