Basehor city survey
In February, the city of Basehor sent 1,000 of its residents a 20-question survey concerning various topics facing the city now and in the future.
Approximately 27 percent of those receiving the surveys responded. The following are the questions and the top responses, according to results compiled and formatted by city employees.
How would you rate the following:
- Quality of life -- 177 people responded good, 59 responded very good, 25 responded neutral.
- Feeling of personal safety -- 166 responded good, 88 responded very good and 14 responded neutral.
- Quality of city services -- 145 responded good, 26 very good and 67 responded neutral.
- General appearance of neighborhood -- 161 responded good, 43 responded very good and 52 responded neutral.
How would you rate your satisfaction with each of the following with respect to being able to meet your housing needs in Basehor:
- Availability of housing -- 109 somewhat satisfied, 81 very satisfied and 49 were not sure.
- Affordability of housing -- 116 somewhat satisfied, 53 very satisfied and 51 were not sure.
- Quality of housing -- 119 somewhat satisfied, 63 very satisfied and 57 were not sure.
- Style of housing -- 120 somewhat satisfied, 76 very satisfied and 42 were not sure.
In thinking about your future needs, are you thinking about any of the following:
- 181 people responded that their current home will meet their needs.
- 52 people responded that they were moving to a larger home outside Basehor.
- 38 people responded that they would move to a larger home inside Basehor.
- 36 people responded that they would move to maintenance free housing.
How many years have you lived in Basehor?
- 85 people responded five years or less.
- 68 people responded 21 to 40 years.
- 62 people responded 11 to 20 years.
- 45 people responded six to 10 years.
- 15 people responded more than 41 years.
What do you like most about Basehor?
- 108 people responded small-town feeling and atmosphere.
- 74 people responded relaxing, quiet environment.
- 46 people responded location and proximity to Kansas City.
What do you like least about Basehor?
- 79 people responded no grocery store.
- 50 people responded limited retail and shopping businesses.
- 33 people responded constant building and growth.
- 30 people responded high and increasing taxes.
What issues will Basehor face in the next 20 years?
- 106 people responded growth.
- 77 people responded school overcrowding and schools too small.
- 41 people responded streets.
- 36 people responded high and increasing taxes.
What words or phrases would you like to use to describe Basehor in 20 years?
- 84 people had no response.
- 16 people responded safe town.
- 16 people responded quiet, small town.
- 10 people responded friendly.
What improvements should the city begin working on during the next 5 years?
- 77 people responded streets and roads.
- 44 people had no response.
- 30 people responded more businesses.
What three services are best in the city?
- 93 people had no response.
- 93 people responded police department.
- 69 people responded fire department.
What three services could the city improve?
- 85 people had no response.
- 47 people responded streets and street maintenance.
- 27 people responded police.
Where do you do the majority of your shopping?
- 143 people responded Bonner Springs.
- 67 people responded Shawnee.
- 50 people responded Wal-Mart in Bonner Springs.
- 49 people responded Leavenworth.
This question asked in what area of the city do respondents live. The results were spread fairly evenly throughout the city.
Do you feel Basehor needs a downtown district?
- 168 people responded yes.
- 61 people responded no.
Where would you like to see downtown area created?
- 66 people had no response.
- 51 people responded existing downtown and center of town.
- 39 people responded 155th Street.
- 22 people responded 155th and State Avenue.
If Basehor were to create a downtown district should it be:
- Pedestrian and vehicle oriented, 214 people responded.
- 27 people had no response.
- Pedestrian oriented, 23 people responded.
What type of commercial businesses do you envision locating in Basehor?
- 161 people responded grocery store.
- 56 people responded restaurants.
- 46 people had no response.
Would you be willing to support a tax increase to fund the improvement of existing streets within established subdivisions?
- 134 people responded no.
- 92 people responded yes.
- 26 people had no response.
Would you support the construction of a bicycle/pedestrian path system throughout the city?
- 137 people responded yes.
- 99 people responded no.
Are you aware the city has a comprehensive plan?
- 183 people responded no.
- 75 people responded yes.