Basehor looks at speed limit
The Basehor City Council will consider a measure to increase the speed limit throughout portions of 155th Street later this month.
The speed limit from U.S. Highway 24/40 to approximately Parallel Road is currently set at 30 miles per hour. From there, it drops to 20 miles per hour.
City administrator David Fuqua said the city will consider increasing the speed limit between 24/40 and Parallel Road to 40 miles per hour.
"The twenty miles per hour might stay the same or it might go up to 20 or 25," Fuqua said of the portions of 155th Street zoned at 20 miles per hour. "Our main concern is that stretch (between 24/40 and Parallel)."
The Basehor Police Department endorses the idea of increasing the speed limit on 155th Street between the highway and just before reaching Basehor-Linwood High School.
Also under consideration for 155th Street is eliminating parking along the road. The police department has received numerous complaints for traffic obstruction on 155th Street between Leavenworth Road and Maple Street, officers said.
The police department is recommending eliminating that parking and is currently studying the feasibility of doing so.
An agenda item eliminating the parking was scheduled for Council consideration Monday night but was tabled until the study could be completed.
The police department recommended parking problems along 155th Street be resolved before deciding on an increase to the speed limit.
In other action Monday night, the City Council:
- Approved directing city staff to develop policies for classification of sewer rates of businesses using high volumes of water.
- Denied, 5-0, the purchase of police vehicle and equipment.
- Approved, 5-0, a conditional use permit for Verizon Wireless.
- Approved, 3-2, a letter supporting the Leavenworth County Port Authority. City Council members John Bonee and Iris Dysart voted against the measure.
- Approved, 5-0, a process to collect delinquent sewer and solid waste accounts.
- Approved, 5-0, developer reimbursement expenses for the Pinehurst development.