Basehor flu shot clinic set Dec. 8 at City Hall
A cutback in the number of companies producing flu vaccines, intense media coverage of the shortage and patient fears have all been contributing factors to the rush of people trying to acquire their flu shots this winter.
But a shortage in flu vaccines is nothing new, said Wilma Schuler, a registered nurse and vice president of business development for Wyandotte Occupational Health Services in Kansas City, Kan. Last year, Schuler's department requested vaccinations for 5,000 people but received just enough for 500 patients.
"This has been an ongoing thing," Schuler said. This year, though much more media attention has been given to the problem and "it's just really got everybody nervous that they weren't going to get (the vaccines)."
For those that qualify for guidelines set by the Centers for Disease Control, getting a flu shot this winter might not be much of a problem. Next week, on Tuesday, Dec. 7, Schuler's organization will be on hand at Basehor City Hall to administer the vaccinations.
Health professionals will administer vaccinations for the flu, pneumonia and tetanus from 8 to 10 a.m. Tuesday morning. The cost for the vaccinations is $20, $35 and $25, respectively. Schuler said Medicare, Humana and Coventry vouchers will be accepted Tuesday.
Listed below are patients approved by the Centers for Disease Control to receive a flu shot:
- Children ages 6 to 23 months.
- People who are 65 years of age and older.
- People two-years old or older who have an underlying, long-term illness, metabolic disease, kidney disease, a blood disorder or a weakened immune system.
- Women who will be pregnant this season.
- People who live in nursing homes or other chronic-care places.
- People who are 6 months to 18 years of age, and that take aspirin daily.
- Health care workers who take care of patients.
- People who have or take care of a baby under 6 months old.
More like this story
- Judge won't hear retrial of man who punched his attorney
- Stolen goods from Joyland park found with Louie the Clown
- Man charged in Fort Riley bomb plot to appear in court
- Man who escaped from Kansas police custody found in Missouri
- Basehor recognizes police officers, public works employee who helped arrest sex offender