Debate team preps for state contest
Lansing High School debate team is finishing up its 2004 season. Since September, the 24-member team has attended five debate tournaments and placed third in its highest scoring tournament and sixth in its lowest.
The only event left for the debate team is the state competition, for which debate coach Tracey Matthews said she was in the process of putting together a team. State debate usually takes place the second or third weekend of January, Matthews said.
In its last tournament, Dec. 4 at Basehor-Linwood High School, the team of Jerrad Willis and Christopher Rohan made a record low of 23 speaker points, or points against the team. The lower the number the better.
More like this story
- Topeka teens' music making rounds on Internet
- Mini Maestro: Edwardsville student's composition tops in competition
- Kansas City Connection: Record Store Day, Malcolm Gladwell and Third Thursday
- Kansas City Connection: Ugly sweaters, Legos for adults and KU basketball at the Sprint Center
- Basehor sophomore continues experience with Youth Symphony