Teacher collaboration on agenda
The Basehor-Linwood School Board is scheduled to discuss merits of a proposal that would allocate more time toward teacher collaboration during its meeting next week.
The School Board meeting is scheduled to begin at 7 p.m. Monday, Dec. 13 in the multi-purpose room at Basehor-Linwood Middle School.
The teacher collaboration time would essentially allow for more time in the school district's calendar for teachers to coordinate planning in areas such as testing, curriculum and lesson plans.
The school district is considering various scenarios for allocating the planning time for teachers. Those scenarios include one collaboration day per nine weeks or a half-day of school per month, among others.
The collaboration time apparently has support among teachers and school district patrons.
Three teachers recently toured schools with collaboration time built into their schedules and found that each of the schools felt the time was a valuable tool, school officials said.
And a recent survey of school district patrons, in which administrators received approximately 700 responses, indicated that 94 percent of parents would be in favor of some form of collaboration time, according to the survey.
If the proposal is approved this year, school officials said it would most likely be implemented next school year.
Also scheduled for discussion Monday night is:
- Recognition of KASB/ KanSPRA publication contest winners.
- Recognition of YouthFriends National Points of Light award and poster contest winners.
- Technology in the work force.
- Focus on learning.
- Social Studies curriculum guide and related resources.
- Update on Kansas curricular standards.
- Standards based middle school math and reading courses.
- Secondary grades and Kansas assessments.
School board members are scheduled to vote on the following action items:
- District communications plan.
- Potential Basehor-Linwood High School course description guide.
- Proposal to resolve traffic flow problems at Basehor Elementary School.
- Resignations and letters of employment.