Kindergarten Roundup planned for April
All three kindergarten schools in the Basehor-Linwood School District will host kindergarten roundup sessions in April.
Kindergarten roundup is three days in which students slated for kindergarten classes in 2004-05 spend three two-hour sessions at their future school.
School district officials said roundup serves three primary purposes: giving students an idea of what to expect during kindergarten, learning about the children to help plan next year's program and beginning mandatory paperwork requirements.
Listed below is a schedule of dates for next year's kindergarteners.
All schools except Linwood Elementary have a morning and afternoon session.
- Basehor Elementary School, April 6-8, 9:15 to 11:15 a.m. or 1:15 to 3:15 p.m.
- Glenwood Ridge Elementary School, April 28-30, 9:15 to 11:15 a.m. or 1:15 to 3:15 p.m.
- Linwood Elementary School, March 31 and April 1 and 2, 8:30 to 10:30 a.m.
Next year's kindergartners will spend most of their session time in activities such as singing, drawing, listening and telling stories. The other time is spent in different stations screening for hearing and vision performance, gross and fine motor control, speech and language development and general knowledge background.
Children who are five years old before Aug. 31, 2004 are eligible to attend kindergarten this fall and should attend the roundup sessions. The school district will notify parents which session their child will attend.
An important part of kindergarten roundup is the parent meeting, which will also take place at each of the three elementary schools. At the meetings, information on kindergarten roundup will be available.
Parent meeting dates and times are:
- Basehor Elementary School, 7 p.m., Tuesday, March 30
- Glenwood Ridge Elementary School, 6:30 p.m., Tuesday, April 20
- Linwood Elementary School, 7 p.m., Tuesday, March 23
For more information, contact the elementary schools or the school district office at (913) 724-1396.