Officers seeking witnesses to wreck
Officers from the Douglas County Sheriff's Department are asking Leavenworth County residents with information concerning a Sunday night fatality accident just outside of Lawrence to come forward.
On Sunday night, Devin Scott Emery, 20, of Wichita, was struck and killed by a 1993 Chevy Suburban SUV traveling eastbound on U.S. Highway 24/40. The driver of the SUV was a Leavenworth County resident, Douglas County officers said.
The driver left the scene of the accident but later returned. No charges had been filed against the driver as of press time.
Scott, a Butler County Community College student, was walking west on 24/40 near the Teepee Junction at 1:30 a.m. when he was struck by the vehicle. The accident scene is just outside of the Lawrence city limits.
The driver was not injured.
Douglas County officers said the fatality accident is still under investigation and urge anyone with information concerning the accident to contact them.
The Douglas County Sheriff's Office can be reached at (785) 841-0007 or (785) 832-5226. Also, anyone with information may call the Douglas County Crimestoppers Hotline at (785) 843-TIPS.
Calls to Crimestoppers may remain anonymous.
More like this story
- Two Berryton residents injured after SUV runs into large utility pole just north of Lawrence
- Baldwin City woman identified as victim in fatality accident
- Driver declines hospital visit after rollover on U.S. 24-40 near Basehor
- 2005 Tonganoxie High graduate killed in vehicle accident on U.S. Highway 24-40
- Man sentenced for role in fatality