Roads plan resurrected
The Basehor City Council will once again consider pursuing a Kansas Department of Transportation matching funds grant, which would pay for street improvements to an as-yet-undetermined city roadway.
The item is listed on the City Council's agenda for its meeting Monday, May 10 at Basehor City Hall.
In 2003, transportation officials told the city it could receive approximately $600,000 for street repairs to 158th Street. The grant was contingent upon the city funding two-thirds of the project, or roughly $1.1 million.
After discussing the issue, city officials determined they could not afford the project.
However, Monday night it will reappear before City Council members. City administrator David Fuqua said he placed the item on the city's agenda to see "if they wanted to try and change it, to pursue it in another place."
Fuqua said the city is interested in obtaining the grant but for a street other than 158th. If the department of transportation would concede grant approval for another street, the city would have to put up the $1.1 million to gain, essentially, $600,000 in free money.
Another issue making a return appearance before the City Council next week will be the issue of increasing the speed limit along 155th Street. Last week, City Council members voted, 3-2, against increasing the speed limit along one of the city's main drags.
City officials plan to discuss the item during a work session following their regular meeting.
Items slated for City Council vote Monday night are:
- A letter of direction to the Planning Commission regarding pyramid zoning.
- Resolutions waiving Generally Accepted Accounting Principles for 2003 and 2004.
- Scheduling a public hearing for delinquent sewer and solid waste accounts for June 14.
- Contractor payments for Pinehurst benefit district.
- Final plat and subdivision improvements agreement for Honey Creek Farms.
- Amendment to a city policy regarding rest and meal periods for city employees.
More like this story
- Edwardsville police recover missing Airstream
- Stolen goods from Joyland park found with Louie the Clown
- Suspect in homicide case takes authorities on vehicle chase that ends in Basehor
- New Kansas rules would limit spending of welfare benefits
- Tonganoxie police investigating sexual assault case involving 13-year-old