Annexation under study in Basehor
This week, the Basehor City Council directed city employees to prepare a schedule and requirements for annexing two existing developments into the city. Next week, on Monday, May 24, the five-member City Council is expected to vote on that timetable, according to its agenda.
The two new areas city officials are considering adding to Basehor are the Cedar Lakes subdivision, located south of U.S. Highway 24/40 on County Road 2, and a commercial district inside the Briarwood development, also south of the highway.
During a budget work session Monday, May 17, the City Council discussed the annexation of the two developments.
City officials said annexing Cedar Lakes and another development along County Road 2, Glenwood Estates, has been on the city's radar for some time now. The annexations would help increase city revenue; neither development will be in need of major projects for two to three years, city officials said.
Annexing the commercial area in Briarwood, which includes a bar and grill, liquor store, paint store and automotive garage, would give the city revenue from sales tax. It's doubtful the residential area in Briarwood will be annexed along with the commercial area because of septic problems the development faces, city officials said.
The agenda for Monday's City Council meeting can be found at the bottom of this page.
More like this story
- The Business of Growing: Basehor farm's herb production continues to expand
- Bike Show honors Kobi’s founder, benefits Vaughn-Trent
- BLAS continues to add families to Christmas 'Adopt-A-Family' program
- Bill would prohibit public agencies and schools in Kansas from collecting union dues
- Retired teacher humbled, honored to receive Marion Vaughn award