Schools to promote champions
The Basehor-Linwood School District is hoping the corner of 155th Street and State Avenue will become known as the entrance point of Victory Lane.
The school district will soon place a sign at the corner promoting the first state championship team in the history of Basehor-Linwood High School. Last year, the Scholar's Bowl team won the 4A state championship; the squad will be the first addition to the new sign.
There will also be room for more state championship winning teams, school officials said.
At Monday night's Basehor-Linwood School Board meeting, the sign is scheduled for presentation and discussion. School officials said money gained from a car show last month was used to help pay for the sign.
School officials are still awaiting word as to exactly what location at 155th and State Avenue the sign will be located.
Also listed on the school board's agenda for presentation items Monday night is a certificate awards ceremony for administrators at the three district elementary schools. The certificates will be awarded in recognition of the schools' receiving state standards of excellence on last year's round of assessment tests mandated by the No Child Left Behind Act.
According to the testing results, Basehor and Glenwood Ridge elementary schools received excellence standards in reading and math; Linwood Elementary School received excellence standards in reading and narrowly missed that achievement in math.
Also listed on the school board agenda under presentation items is:
- Technology in the work force
- Education Foundation awarding certificates for teacher grant recipients
- Focus on Learning: Basehor-Linwood High School
- BLHS course description book for the 2005-06 school year
- District communication plan
- Superintendent's evaluation form
- Approval of a bid for a new storage shed.
- Approval of letters of employment.
The school board also has time scheduled Monday night for a superintendent's report and an executive session to discuss matters of attorney-client privilege. The meeting is scheduled to begin at 7 p.m. at the district offices.
More like this story
- Generating change: Ag Hall looks to reinfuse energy with Barnyard Babies event
- Bonner's Zumba classes create fitness 'family'
- Basehor fundraiser carries on tradition of support for Safe Harbor
- Community walk to mark 1-year anniversary of shootings at Jewish sites
- Bonner's 9th annual Marble Day debuts mascot