Retiring the Flag
Members of the Leavenworth Veterans of Foreign Wars showed Boy Scouts in Lansing Troop 165 that burning the flag can be an act of respect instead of protest.
Nine Scouts gathered Saturday to retire more than 100 used American flags, Kansas flags and even an Irish flag given to them by Lansing and Leavenworth residents.
Instead of throwing away flags, troop members discarded the worn flags in a ceremonial burning led by Don Studnicka, a Lansing City Council member. The ceremony was conducted at the Leavenworth VFW.
More like this story
- Child homicides taking toll in Kansas City metropolitan area
- Kansas amputee shuns self-pity, shoots for Paralympic gold
- Artist hopes Bonner's 'Marble Crazy' event broadens horizons
- Kansas gun dealer to pay $132K to woman for selling to felon
- Face to Face: Basehor council member Rae Anderson Nicholson