Archive for Thursday, November 18, 2004

Man burned in explosion, fire triggered by welding gas tank

November 18, 2004

A rural Leavenworth County man, who family members say was welding a gasoline tank to a truck, was critically burned Tuesday morning in an explosion and fire four miles east of Tonganoxie.

Elmer "Bill" Lee, 39, was working on the truck in a barn behind his parents-in-law home at 18275 182nd St., when an explosion occurred.

"He's burned terrible," said his mother-in-law, Aletha Beach, after Lee was taken by air ambulance to the University of Kansas Hospital in Kansas City, Kan. About 3:30 p.m. Tuesday, sheriff's officers said Lee was in critical condition at the hospital.

Lee's stepdaughter, Jaime Smith, saw him running from the barn after the explosion, about 9:50 a.m.

"He was yelling, 'Help me,'" Smith said. "I told him to drop and roll to put himself out. He was covered in gasoline."

Once firefighters and paramedics arrived, they were pushed back from the barn several times as smaller explosions rocked the area. Black, thick smoke billowed from the metal barn, which melted under the strain of the fire and explosions.

Beach said her son-in-law, who lived in the basement of the Beach home, apparently was working on a truck at the time of the accident.

"He told me this morning, 'I don't know what I'll do today. I think I'll finishing putting on that gas tank,'" Beach recalled.

Ironically, family members said, Lee had recently helped the Todd family finish bulldozing the remains of their home, which was destroyed Oct. 7 by fire. The home is north of Tonganoxie.

Smith said her stepfather had been living with her grandparents for a little more than a year.

"He helped with my grandpa," she said. "My grandpa has Parkinson's disease."

Sgt. Charlie Yates of the Leavenworth County sheriff's office said the initial investigation showed that Lee apparently had been welding inside the barn.

"We're going to get some experts in here to verify what we're being told," Yates said, referring to the state fire marshal's office.

Smith's mother died nearly three years ago, and her stepfather had been living with her grandparents, Althea and Alvey Beach, helping care for Mr. Beach.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.