New school construction a hot topic
Members of the Basehor-Linwood School Board are scheduled next week to resume discussions with architects regarding possible scenarios for new school construction.
School Board members and school district administrators are slated to meet with Mark Franzen, president of Horst, Karst and Terrill Architects, the school district's architecture firm, during a work session at 5 p.m. Monday night. The regularly scheduled monthly School Board meeting will take place following the work session.
The work session is a continuation from a meeting in September during which Franzen presented several rough designs of possible new school construction scenarios.
The scenarios included classroom additions to Basehor and Glenwood Ridge elementary schools, a new elementary school and both a new and refurbished Basehor-Linwood Middle School. Cost analysis ran between $1.4 and $17.5 million.
School district superintendent Jill Hackett said opinions formed by School Board members during the Monday night work session will be shared with the District Advisory Council, a group of residents who advise school officials on educational issues.
School officials maintain there is no timeline for when a bond issue will be proposed to school district taxpayers.
The School Board's agenda for Monday is listed below.
- Focus on Learning: Presented by administrators from the Basehor-Linwood Virtual School.
- 2003-2004 testing summary
- Update on changes to the social studies curriculum
- Storage shed for maintenance staff
- Approval of county's proposal to resolve traffic congestion at Glenwood Ridge Elementary School
Following the meeting, the school board is scheduled to meet during an executive session for a discussion relating to the acquisition of property and matters of non-elected personnel.
More like this story
- Douglas County Fair returns July 24 with new theme, kiddie derby
- Education focus: JCCC partners with Clorox for on-site manufacturing courses
- Wyandotte County fair adds go kart racing to events
- Education focus: Dwayne Peaslee Technical Training Center prepares for fall push
- Basehor-Linwood USD 458 board sets special meeting