Basehor supports rezoning land
The Basehor City Council approved a resolution Monday night supporting the rezoning of land near 147th Street and Leavenworth Road from rural residential to light industrial if the "appropriate client" chose to pursue development there.
The City Council approved the measure 5-0.
In recent months, city officials and members of Leavenworth Area Development have been courting an unnamed large business considering locating to the city on ground listed in the resolution Monday night. The business has not made a final decision on where it will locate, city officials said.
The resolution approved Monday night not only establishes the city's support for the project, it also "acknowledges the importance of industrially zoned property to the future growth of the community," determines the site to be sufficient of interested industrial clients and cites understanding that infrastructure will be necessary at the site to make the ground marketable for potential clients.
The resolution establishes that clients interested in the ground shall be reviewed on an individual basis and will follow the normal rezoning regulations.
In other news, the City Council:
- Approved, 5-0, a resolution designating certain city employees to make deposits and withdraws from the municipal investment pool account.
- Approved, 5-0, contractor payments for the Pinehurst benefit district U.S. Highway 24/40 lane widening project.
- Approved, 5-0, contractor payment plans for the north Poplar interceptor project.
- Tabled a resolution to proceed with the process of allocating final construction costs for the 24/40 sewer interceptor phase 1 and 2.
- Approved, 4-1, an agreement with Leavenworth County allowing the city to use right of way for the force main at the Honey Creek development on 166th Street. Council member Bill Hooker voted no.
- Approved, 3-2, canceling a regularly scheduled work session for next week. Members Iris Dysart and John Bonee voted no.
- Conducted two 30-minute executive sessions to discuss attorney-client matters.