Grenade found in trash load
The Leavenworth County Sheriff's Department didn't take any chances when a hand grenade was discovered recently in Lansing.
On Oct 6, the department got word that a grenade was discovered in a trash load at the County Waste Transfer Station by employees who were checking through debris.
Sgt. Charles Yates said transfer station employees sort through waste that is brought in before the refuse is shipped out to a landfill. Yates said the loads that day probably came from the Ft. Leavenworth area.
Yates said officers did not take any chances with the device once they learned of the situation. The county bomb squad collected the device as local EMS and fire units secured the area. Members of the bomb squad took the device to a remote location on the same property and detonated it without incident.
More like this story
- Face to Face: Bonner Springs Senior Center's Gloria Ochoa
- Artist hopes Bonner's 'Marble Crazy' event broadens horizons
- GOP plan to overhaul Kansas school aid could move quickly
- Bonner-based interior designer loves to reshape spaces
- Adult students find success with Bonner-based diploma completion program