Tractor drive to be in area
Dozens of antique trailers will be in Leavenworth and on U.S. Highway 73 in the northern part of the county on Friday.
The occasion is a tractor drive to raise funds for the DeKalb, Mo., Junior-Senior High School FFA.
Alan Goodwin, who farms in Platte County, Mo., said more than 60 tractors would be in the drive, which will begin in Tracy, Mo., before heading across the Missouri River to Leavenworth and Atchison in Kansas, then returning to the Missouri cities of Rushville and Weston before concluding the day back in Tracy.
The tractors will arrive about 8:30 a.m. in Leavenworth for a brief stopover at Riverfront Park before heading north to Atchison on U.S. Highway 73, Goodwin said.
"We'll have all kinds of tractors," Goodwin said, "some 75 years old and older."
Tractor owners pay to participate in the drive, plus donations are solicited from businesses and individuals. Each year a different FFA in the region is selected as the recipient of the funds raised.
Tractor Supply Co., 1111 N. Main St., Lansing, is helping with the effort.
More like this story
- New Kansas rules would limit spending of welfare benefits
- Health Department workshop teaches health-related community planning
- Kansas City Connection: A bakery to satisfy your cookie addiction
- Kansas City Connection: Tour spotlights how things are growing in urban gardens, farms
- Kansas City Connection: Sushi and Sufjan