Holiday art show opens at Carnegie
The Leavenworth County Artists Association's annual Holiday Juried Art Show will be Dec. 9-Jan. 2 at the Carnegie Arts Center.
The show has been expanded and includes several new artists in attendance, according to a news release from the center, 601 S. Fifth St., Leavenworth. Among the works on display will be watercolors, oil paintings, pastels, sculpture, pottery and drawings.
A gala opening and awards ceremony will be from 5 p.m. to 9 p.m. Friday, Dec. 9.
Entertainment for the gala begins at 5 p.m. with John Hopkins, a professional pianist who plays solely with his left hand. Hopkins suffered a stroke in 1999 in the middle of a promising career but battled back to play the piano again. He is also the founder of "Age and Play," an organization dedicated to teaching physically challenged and senior citizens to play the piano
At 6:30 p.m., Tom Clark, a pharmacist by day and pianist at night, will perform.
More like this story
- 2015 Candidate questionnaire: James Blancarte, Linwood City Council
- Avian flu case confirmed in Leavenworth County
- State creates quarantine zone for bird flu in rural Leavenworth, Wyandotte counties
- Judge won't hear retrial of man who punched his attorney
- Adult students find success with Bonner-based diploma completion program