Elementary schools ready for roundup sessions
Kindergarten roundup provides a preview for next year
The Basehor-Linwood School District has scheduled kindergarten roundup sessions at each of the district's three elementary schools throughout the month of April.
The time and date for the sessions at each school is listed below.
- Linwood Elementary School: parent roundup meeting is 7 p.m. Tuesday, March 22; roundup date is 8:30 to 10:30 a.m. March 30 through April 1.
- Basehor Elementary School: parent roundup meeting is 7 p.m. Tuesday, April 12; roundup date is 9:15 to 11:15 a.m. or 1:15 to 3:15 p.m. April 20 through April 22.
- Glenwood Ridge Elementary School: parent roundup meeting is 6:30 p.m. Thursday, April 14; roundup date is 9:15 to 11:15 a.m. or 1:15 to 3:15 p.m. April 20 through 22.
Students who are five years or older on or before Aug. 31 are eligible to attend kindergarten in the fall and are asked to participate in the three-day roundup. Parents will be notified about the particular session their child will attend.
New students will spend most of the roundup sessions in regular kindergarten activities such as singing, drawing, listening to and telling stories. Remaining time will be spent in a rotation of activities that screen hearing, vision, gross and fine motor control, speech and language development and general knowledge background.
Kindergarten roundup is the beginning of an educational journey and a big step for both the new students and their parents, according to the school district's announcement.
For the three-day roundup sessions, students in the 2005-06 kindergarten class will spend three two-hour sessions at the school. Kindergarten roundup serves three main purposes: the staff wants to give children a taste of what to expect during classes, to learn as much as possible about the student and to begin paperwork requirements.
The parent meeting will give parents a chance to learn the details of kindergarten roundup and the regular Kindergarten class.
Parents should contact the elementary school in their area to identify potential kindergartners and for more information. Basehor Elementary School can be reached at (913) 724-1038, Glenwood Ridge Elementary School at (913) 724-3536 and Linwood Elementary School at (913) 723-3212 or (913) 724-2323.
More like this story
- Kansas ponders new protections for campus religious groups
- Budget, taxes head up crowded agenda for Kansas Legislature
- Basehor recognizes police officers, public works employee who helped arrest sex offender
- Kansas Attorney General criticizes federal home health laws
- Kansas Senate to consider tax increases to close budget gap