Zola W. Williams
A graveside service for Zola W. Williams, 88, Leavenworth, was conducted Tuesday at Leavenworth National Cemetery.
Ms. Williams died Monday, Feb. 14, 2005, at Providence Medical Center, Kansas City, Kan.
She was born July 11, 1916, in Leavenworth, the daughter of Joseph C. and Anna B. (Gilliam) Wallace.
Ms. Williams was a member of Independent Baptist Church for more than 50 years. She was chairwoman of the Flower and Garden Club and a member of the Ruth Circle Missionary Ministry. She served for 30 years as a member of the Les Novelettes Club, a nonprofit organization benefiting minority students in furthering their educational goals. She also worked as a claims processor for the Armed Forces Insurance Co. at Fort Leavenworth.
She married Henry D. Williams on Dec. 23, 1939, in St. Paul, Minn. He died in 1989.
Survivors include a son, James M. Williams, Sherman, Texas; a brother, Robert Wallace, and his wife, Maxine, Madison, Wis.; a sister, Nora Liggins, Kansas City, Kan.; seven grandchildren; nine great-grandchildren; four great-great-grandchildren; and many nieces, nephews and cousins.
The family suggests memorials to Independent Baptist Church in care of Barnett-Larkin-Brown Funeral Home.
More like this story
- Kansas City Connection: Dance festival, Big Picnic, Van Halen make braving summer heat worth it
- The show must go on: Walcott competes at KU Relays, performs in school play in same night
- Kansas City Connection: The Sundry shows off its suppliers
- Artist hopes Bonner's 'Marble Crazy' event broadens horizons
- Scott earns bronze at state championship meet