School board waits on selling land parcel
The Basehor-Linwood School Board tabled a motion Monday night to move forward with selling approximately 11 acres of land near Glenwood Ridge Elementary School.
The land is located just north of 157th Terrace, the entrance road into Glenwood Ridge. School Board members tabled the item Monday night so language in a legal notice advertising the acceptance of bids for the property could be revised.
School officials said the issue will be revisited next month.
Don Swartz, school district director of building operations, said the vacant land at Glenwood Ridge could not be used for the site of a new school, so administrators decided to put the property up for sale. Money gained from the land sale could be used to offset the cost of land the school district may need to purchase for the site of a new school.
School district administrators, in cooperation with members of the District Advisory Council, are currently weighing various options for new school construction. As of yet, there are no definitive plans to propose a bond issue, and a decision won't be made until administrators and advisory council members are in agreement on a proposal.
In other action, the School Board:
- Approved, 6-0, a revised social studies curriculum and related resources as funding allows.
- Approved, 6-0, standards-based math and reading classes at Basehor-Linwood Middle School.
- Approved, 6-0, a proposal to discontinue membership in the National School Board Association.
- Approved, 6-0, a $20,210 bid for a maintenance truck. The bid was submitted by Shawnee Mission Ford.
- Renewed, 6-0, a resolution levying a tax for the capital outlay fund.
- Approved, 6-0, hiring Kevin Vincent as a girls soccer coach at Basehor-Linwood High School.
- Approved, 6-0, hiring Jaclyn Naster as a girls soccer coach at Basehor-Linwood High School.
- Approved, 6-0, hiring Jeff Venema as a assistant track coach at Basehor-Linwood High School.