Basehor couple killed in wreck on 24/40
An elderly Basehor couple was killed Thursday morning when their car was struck by a dump truck on U.S. 24/40 in Basehor.
The Kansas Highway Patrol identified the victims as J.M. Brandenburg Sr., 89, and his wife, Frances L. Brandenburg, 80.
The Patrol said Brandenburg failed to yield as he drove north across the highway on 150th Street into the path of the eastbound dump truck, driven by Joseph S. Riley, 30, of Tonganoxie. Riley was uninjured, the patrol said.
After the impact, both vehicles spun into the north ditch along the highway.
The accident occurred at 10:55 a.m. Thursday. The highway was blocked and traffic was rerouted around the site for an hour or more.
Funeral arrangements were incomplete at the Alden-Harrington Funeral Home in Bonner Springs.
More like this story
- Basehor recognizes police officers, public works employee who helped arrest sex offender
- Judge won't hear retrial of man who punched his attorney
- Man charged in Fort Riley bomb plot to appear in court
- Man who escaped from Kansas police custody found in Missouri
- Stolen goods from Joyland park found with Louie the Clown