Elderly couple killed in U.S. 24-40 crash
Basehor An elderly Basehor couple were killed Thursday morning when their car was struck by a dump truck on U.S. Highway 24-40 in Basehor.
The Kansas Highway Patrol identified the victims as J.M. Brandenberg Sr., 89, and his wife, Frances L. Brandenburg, 80.
The Patrol said Brandenburg failed to yield as he drove north across the highway on 150th Street into the path of the eastbound dump truck, driven by Joseph S. Riley, 30, Tonganoxie. Riley was uninjured, the patrol said.
After the impact, both vehicles spun into the north ditch along the highway. The Brandenburgs were not wearing their seat belts, the patrol said.
The accident occurred at 10:55 a.m. Thursday. The highway was blocked and traffic was rerouted around the site for an hour or more.
Funeral arrangements are pending at the Alden-Harrington Funeral Home in Bonner Springs.
More like this story
- Some Kansas regions report near record rainfall in May
- Hanging of 'In Cold Blood' killers marks 50th anniversary
- Kansas City Connection: Tour spotlights how things are growing in urban gardens, farms
- Survivors of Jewish sites shooting victims plan remembrance
- Artist hopes Bonner's 'Marble Crazy' event broadens horizons