Wanda M. Mayfield
Leavenworth Services for Wanda M. Mayfield, 54, Leavenworth, were Monday at the R.L. Leintz Funeral Home, Leavenworth. Burial was at Mount Muncie Cemetery, Lansing.
Mrs. Mayfield died Friday, July 8, 2005, at her home after fighting a long battle with cancer.
A lifelong resident of Leavenworth, she was born Oct. 20, 1950, the daughter of Harley and Ruth Rice Shoemaker.
She worked for 33 years at the Dwight D. Eisenhower Veterans Administration Hospital in Leavenworth, where her most recent position was in the interior design department. She also had worked in dietetics. In her earlier years, she worked for Chris and Jerry's Cafe and at St. John Hospital as a certified nurse assistant.
She was a member of Graham Chapter of the Eastern Star No. 395, Lansing, and was a member and past president of the Veterans of Foreign Wars Auxiliary in Leavenworth.
Survivors include her husband of nine years, Len, of the home; her companion "Hope"; a daughter, Janet Sexton, Leavenworth; a son, Jerry Hansen Jr., Leavenworth; a stepson, Joe Mayfield, Buffalo, Mo.; three brothers, Donald Shoemaker, Bonner Springs, Lee Shoemaker, Geneseo, Ill., and Charles Shoemaker, Leavenworth; two sisters, Barbara Bolderson, Clinton, Mo., and Roberta Ready, Leavenworth; a grandson; and two stepgrandchildren.
The family suggests memorials to Kansas City Hospice, sent in care of the funeral home, 4701 Tenth Ave., Leavenworth 66048.
More like this story
- Kansas City Connection: 'Christmas Cheer' from a new 'Nutcracker' to Charles Dickens
- Kansas City Connection: The debut of KC Ballet's new 'Nutcracker' and other family activities
- WireCo to move headquarters across border to Kansas
- Kansas man driving combine leads law enforcement on chase
- Kansas City Connection: Bonner Springs balloon fest puts the helium in Halloween