Archive for Thursday, July 14, 2005

Basehor police stay busy on July 4

July 14, 2005

Findings from an investigation that stemmed from a Basehor woman's complaint that her boyfriend abused her and drenched her in gasoline July 4 has been turned over to the Leavenworth County attorney, Basehor police said.

Basehor Police Chief Terry Horner said the suspect -- a 27-year-old Kansas City, Kan., man -- has not been arrested or charged. Charges under consideration, Horner said, are aggravated battery, battery and theft of an automobile.

The police chief said he believed the county attorney would file charges after reviewing his department's investigation report.

"We're assuming something will be filed," he said. "It was a lengthy investigation, the case file is pretty thick and it took a lot of man hours."

About 11:20 p.m. July 4, Basehor police were called to the 3700 block of North 155th Street on a report from a 39-year-old Basehor woman who told police her boyfriend threw beer cans at her, bit her and doused her with gasoline.

Later, the suspect threw the victim's purse into a nearby field, police said.

When officers arrived, the suspect had fled in the alleged victim's car, Horner said. The vehicle was recovered by the Kansas City Kansas Police Department a few hours later, he added.

During an investigation, a second victim, a 20-year-old Topeka man, came forward and reported to police that the suspect also assaulted him July 4.

The incident was part of a hectic holiday for Basehor police officers, Horner said.

"We had a very busy night and this was just part of the action we saw," he said. "We had five officers on the streets and they were kept busy. It was a very interesting night in the city of Basehor."

All told, officers responded to 11 calls for service. Calls ranged from a structure fire to domestic violence, disorderly conduct and, in the most bizarre of the evening, the theft of a dog.

Horner said five part-time officers worked July 4 so full-time policemen could spend the holiday with their families.

The police chief said the part-time crew handled the day well and calls quieted down about 2:30 a.m.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.