Rags ignite fire at Dairy Queen
Reopening still slated for August
Dairy Queen, 402 N. Main St., which is in the process of being reopened, suffered a slight setback early Sunday morning.
The restaurant's owner, Steve Hammeke, said rags soaked in turpentine caught a cardboard box on fire while the building was being cleaned.
The fire caused little fire damage, but the smoke damaged much of the restaurant's ceiling tile.
Hammeke and Leavenworth County District 1 Fire Chief Rick Huhn both estimated that the fire caused about $1,000 in damages.
Huhn said the fire could have been avoided with extra care.
"Keeping all your rags in a box like that is never a good idea," Huhn said. "It caused some smoke damage to the ceiling. Luckily there was no fire damage."
Hammeke said he planned to replace the ceiling tile.
Ice cream lovers are in luck, however. Hammeke said the fire would have little or no affect on the restaurant's reopening.
"We're still hoping for early August," he said.
Hammeke, who owns and operates the Dairy Queen at 103 E. Front St. in Bonner Springs, purchased the closed Lansing store this year.
More like this story
- Kansas CIty Connection: Fall chock-full of colorful events
- Emporia State investigation finds no evidence of hate crime
- Kansas City Connection: Farm-fresh flavor; Floyd’s ‘Dark Side’
- Kansas City Connection: The return of the Royals, and showtime for Middle of the Map
- Kansas City Connection: Eating recommendations for moms (and everyone else)