Council members conduct interviews with 2 candidates
The Basehor City Council has completed its first round of in-person interviews with the two remaining candidates for the vacant city administrator position.
There was no decision announced following the interviews, held in executive sessions last week. Basehor Mayor Chris Garcia said the city council will reach a consensus next month on which candidate they want to lead the municipal government on a day-to-day basis.
"We'll make a decision in August," Garcia said. "No doubt about that."
Council members spoke with both candidates for about an hour each. Following the interviews, Garcia took each prospect on a tour of the city.
The city received between 20 and 25 resumes for the position. The field was eventually whittled to the remaining two candidates, both of whom hail from the Kansas City metropolitan area. As of yet, there is no consensus among council members as to which candidate is the leading contender.
"No one has said, 'I would take this person over this person,'" Garcia said.
The council conducted its interviews with the candidates short-handed. Both city council president John Bonee and council member Keith Sifford had prior commitments and could not attend the interview sessions.
"We'll wait until the full council comes back and then set up another round of interviews," Garcia said.
The new city administrator will replace David Fuqua, the city's first-ever administrator. Fuqua resigned in December so he could take a similar position in his native home, Oklahoma.
The city council will schedule its second round of interviews with the finalist during its Aug. 1 meeting.
"We're getting there," Garcia said. "I think everybody is ready to get someone in there. I'm excited."
More like this story
- Adult students find success with Bonner-based diploma completion program
- First land bank lots from Fort Riley overbuilding to be sold
- GOP plan to overhaul Kansas school aid could move quickly
- Kansas lawmakers seek classroom tweaks in school budget row
- Kansas school funding plan aimed at ending budget surprises