New owner acquiring Dairy Queen
Those missing a local source for satisfying their craving for frozen summer treats like the Blizzard will be happy to know that the Dairy Queen at 402 N. Main St. will reopen next month.
The store, closed since last year, will reopen after the middle of July under new ownership and management.
Steve Hammeke, who owns and operates a Dairy Queen at 103 E. Front St. in Bonner Springs, is in the process of acquiring the Lansing store and property and said he will manage the two stores with his son, Ryan.
"The last owners just hired people to run it for them," Hammeke said. "They could have run it better."
Hammeke said that he would be more actively involved in managing the store than its last owner and that he would base the business on how he has run his store in Bonner Springs for the last 12 years.
The Bonner Springs Dairy Queen, Hammeke said, was listed among the company's top 10 producing stores out of more than 5,700 in the country.
More like this story
- Baldwin City resident killed, another injured in motorcycle wreck in southern Leavenworth County
- High court to hear Kansas plea to reinstate death sentences
- Kansas City Connection: The debut of KC Ballet's new 'Nutcracker' and other family activities
- Supreme Court to hear capital cases roiling Kansas politics
- Young Royals fan who fought cancer has died