Local schools earn top marks
Officials: Hard work lead to achievement
If early results from Kansas assessments hold true, Basehor-Linwood schools will have earned state standard of excellence marks in 13 of the 18 areas tested, according to information released by assistant school superintendent Bill Hatfield.
Administrators discussed the preliminary results with members of the Basehor-Linwood School Board at Monday night's meeting.
Hatfield, who as assistant superintendent is in charge of overhauling and reviewing curriculum, said he believed the final test results would closely resemble the preliminary figures.
He called the early returns the "culmination of a very active, very driven year" by educators and administrators to improve test scores.
He also said parents and students should be commended for preparing for the tests.
"This year there seemed to be a renewed interest by students and parents to score as best they could," Hatfield said. He added, "It very definitely is a team effort. ... I think the results are indicative of that effort. I think we have a lot to be proud of."
Schools receiving standards of excellence marks, according to the preliminary results, are:¢ Basehor Elementary School, which received excellence marks in reading, math and science. The sixth-grade center, which falls under the umbrella of the elementary school received excellence standards in social studies.
- Glenwood Ridge Elementary School, which reached excellence standards in reading, math and science.
- Linwood Elementary School, which also reached excellence standards in reading, math and science.
- Basehor-Linwood Middle School, which reached excellence standards in social studies.
- Basehor-Linwood High School, which achieved excellence standards in science and reading.
School district Superintendent Jill Hackett commended Hatfield, educators, students and all others involved in reaching the lofty testing benchmarks.
"Our teachers are to be commended," Hackett said. "We're all very proud of what's been accomplished and we look forward to the future."
Final test results will be announced Oct. 11 and 12.
More like this story
- Kansas City Connection: Where comics, movies and TV shows come to life
- Kansas City Connection: The return of the Royals, and showtime for Middle of the Map
- Kansas City Connection: Banjos and beignets
- Kansas City Connection: In the market for meat
- Kansas City Connection: Grinders Pizza and Celebration at the Station