Sheriff hires administrator for jail
There's a new administrator on the jailblock.
A community corrections official has been named the new administrator of the Leavenworth County jail.
Sheriff Dave Zoellner on Tuesday announced he's appointed Wade Schmierer, 54, Leavenworth, to handle day-to-day operation of the jail. Schmierer will take over a newly created position - jail administrator.
Zoellner said he determined the new position was necessary, as the county moves to expand the work-release program at the jail. In addition, the sheriff is interested in adding a kitchen to serve the jail and in increasing the number of prisoners held there by taking inmates from overcrowded county jails or federal prisons.
A total of 10 people had applied for the new position.
Schmierer has worked for Leavenworth County Comm-unity Corrections, where he's supervised both adult and juvenile offenders. He has more than 25 years of supervisory, management and administrative experience in correctional facilities.
More like this story
- 8 years after tornado, Greensburg to have theater again
- Kansas City Connection: Record Store Day, Malcolm Gladwell and Third Thursday
- Survivors of Jewish sites shooting victims plan remembrance
- Basehor's 10th annual Dairy Days looking for sunny skies
- Hanging of 'In Cold Blood' killers marks 50th anniversary