Windy afternoon in store
It's going to be a windy afternoon in Lansing and across the region, so much so that the National Weather Service is advising residents to do more than just hold onto their hats.
The National Weather Service has issued a wind advisory in effect from noon to 6 p.m. today. Forecasters say strong northwest winds will develop this afternoon across the region. They say sustained wind speeds will be between 25 and 30 mph with gusts around 45 mph possible. The strongest winds are expected to occur between 2 p.m. and 5 p.m.
The Weather Service said motorists should exercise caution, especially when driving along east-west routes, and especially those driving vehicles that sit higher off the ground.
A wind advisory is issued when sustained winds are forecast to be 30 to 40 mph or gusts are expected to range from 45 to 57 mph.
Winds of this strength may cause minor property damage without extra precautions, the Weather Service said.
More like this story
- Kansas City Connection: Where comics, movies and TV shows come to life
- Kansas City Connection: a place for good jazz, eats; Starlight lets it go
- Kansas City Connection: City Market a hub for delicious ethnic food
- Kansas City Connection: Sorting through the hoopla of the Big 12 tournament
- Kansas City Connection: Eating recommendations for moms (and everyone else)