Council OK’s annexation
Members of the Basehor City Council voted Monday to annex the Highpoint Downs area of land into the city.
Council members voted 4-1 to approve the ordinance annexing the land after the city engineer clarified the legal description of the land. City Clerk Mary Mogle the annexation will become official after notice of the action is officially. Council member Bill Hooker cast the lone dissenting vote.
In other action during Monday's meeting, Council members:
- Voted 5-0 to grant Cpl. Greg Hallgrimson a promotion and set his wage at $14.57 an hour.
- Voted 5-0 to approve a transfer from the sewer fund to the bond and interest fund in order to make the state revolving loan payment.
- Scheduled a workshop for 6 p.m. April 18 to discuss support for a community center. Gold PRIDE member Jerald Cooper attended the meeting and gave a presentation regarding organizing community support for a community center.
- Considered a request from the Fairmount Township Fire Department to set aside a piece of land to honor fallen firefighters. Members of the Council did not formally take action but indicated they would like to see a proposal for future consideration and possibly incorporate a memorial for fallen police officers at the site.
- Adopted an amendment to Resolution 2001-10 regarding the Neighborhood Revitalization Plan.
- Approved an expense in the amount of $2,858.53 for converting the sewer line at Kelley's.
The meeting was adjourned by 8 p.m. and Council members conducted two executive sessions for a total of 50 minutes to discuss attorney-client privileged matters.
In other Council related matters, Mogle said Mayor Joseph Scherer and Council members did not conduct an additional telephone poll for the purposes of discussing the appointment of a new city administrator.