Basehor-Linwood board approves new principal
As expected, the Basehor-Linwood School Board approved Monday night the hiring of Jan Hancock, who next year will take over as principal at Glenwood Ridge Elementary School.
The board approved Hancock's hiring by unanimous vote, 6-0. School Board member Dayna Miller was absent from the meeting.
Hancock is currently working as the associate principal at Clear Creek Elementary School in the De Soto School District. She has approximately 17 years of experience in education.
Hancock's official tenure at Glenwood Ridge will begin in August. Before then, she'll work with interim Glenwood Ridge principal Brenda De Groot to become more acquainted with the school.
Hancock will replace Linda McFarlane as the permanent school principal. McFarlane resigned in January.
In other action, the School Board:
- Approved, 6-0, renewal of contracts for building principals and assistant principals.
- Approved, 6-0, renewal of contracts for district-level administrators.
- Approved, 6-0, 2005-06 school year calendar.
- Approved, 6-0, accepting a donation of a batting cage for Basehor-Linwood High School from Grizzley Fence Company, a local business.
- Approved, 6-0, a contract for conducting lease reviews.
- Approved, 6-0, soliciting bids for a new roof at Basehor Elementary School.
- Approved, 6-0, creating an assistant track coach position at Basehor-Linwood Middle School.
- Approved, 6-0, renewing the Parents as Teachers program.
- Approved, 6-0, a contract for Mary Nutter, assistant varsity softball coach.
- Approved, 6-0, the resignations of Connie Weltha, counselor at Glenwood Ridge Elementary School and Basehor-Linwood sixth-grade center; Laurie Raines, nurse at Basehor Elementary School; Kathy Kenney, junior varsity cheerleading sponsor at the high school; Steve Hopkins, assistant girls basketball coach at the high school; Tina Coffer, third-grade teacher at Basehor Elementary School; Angela Bohndorf, second-grade teacher at Basehor Elementary School; and Lois Schultz, reading specialist at Glenwood Ridge Elementary School.
- Approved, 6-0, authorizing administrators to seek bids and purchase new lawn mowers. The cost is not to exceed $19,200.