Concert scheduled Friday at church
Two Lansing residents will showcase their talents at "An Evening of Art, Arias and Art Songs" at 8 p.m. Friday, May 20, at Lansing United Methodist Church, 107 E. Kay St.
Matt Fallesen, a Kansas State University graduate student in music and a 2000 Lansing High School graduate, will perform the arias and art songs, accompanied by LHS choir director Jonnie Brice. Fallesen asked his sister, Kelsey, an LHS senior, to display some of her artwork at the concert for guest to view at a reception in the lobby following the performance.
Matt Fallesen arranged the event to raise funds for a two-week trip he will make to Hot Springs, Ark., where he will perform in the world premiere of the opera "Cio Cio San" on June 11 at the Hot Springs Music Festival. Fallesen will play Sharpless, one of the leading roles.
Fallesen said he received paid tuition to the festival by being selected to perform, but he was responsible for paying for his food and travel expenses. He said he would collect a free-will donation at the concert to help defray the costs. He hopes to receive $500, he said.
More like this story
- Kansas Senate panel to consider expanding liquor licenses
- Kansas City Connection: Grinders Pizza and Celebration at the Station
- Face to Face: retreat director Dave Mareske
- Hanging of 'In Cold Blood' killers marks 50th anniversary
- Kansas City Connection: Record Store Day, Malcolm Gladwell and Third Thursday