Additional businesses plan openings in Village West
The legend surrounding the Village West shopping and entertainment district in Kansas City, Kan. swelled a bit with last week's announcement of several new tenants.
Officials with RED Development announced that seven additional tenants locked deals to their open doors within The Legends at Village West. That same day, the company announced six other retailers had entered the final negotiation stages to securing a lease within the booming district.
Claddagh Irish Pub, Brooks Brothers, Casual Corner, Beauty Brands, Moe's Southwest Grill, Wyldewood Cellars Winery and Hooters were the new tenants that RED Development, announced as finalizing leases.
RED Development is a company jointly headquartered in Kansas City, Mo. that develops, leases, manages and owns high-profile shopping districts in expanding communities throughout the Midwest and Southwest.
"We are extremely excited to bring this group of tenants in," said Legends marketing director Amy Kraft, "especially those are not already in this market."
The Legends is a 750,000-square-foot center at the intersections Interstate 435 and State Avenue, in the heart of the Village West district. The new tenants will join a large group of previously announced tenants that include Cheeseburger in Paradise, Dave & Buster's and The Legends Theater.
Kraft said RED Development is continuing to work out deals with appealing prospective tenants. Those deals "are in various stages of negotiations" and are aimed at landing tenants and retailers that would mesh with the existing businesses in Village West and The Legends' appeal to residents within the 250-mile target business radius.
"Our goal is for The Legends to compliment retailers that are already in Village West and bring in so many people from outside the Kansas City market," Kraft said. "Just the way that Cabela's and Nebraska Furniture Mart are unique to the market, we want a lot of our names to be the same way."
Publicity documents accompanying last week's announcement of new tenants briefly touted each future business' appeal or niche. According to those documents:
- Claddagh Irish Pub specializes in joining the traditional Irish appeal of food, furnishing and drink with a menu that includes staples of American cuisine.
- Brooks Brothers' first Kansas location will continue the country's oldest clothing retailer began in 1818. Quality, fashion innovation, customer service and a big bang for the consumer's buck can be expected.
- Casual Corner, through its 250 locations, is committed to fair prices, attention to customers' needs and quality threads.
- Beauty Brands combines a full-service salon and day spa with a retail line that includes top hair, nail and skin products.
- Moe's Southwest Grill has become known as a Tex-Mex restaurant where employees energetically chirp "Welcome to Moe's" to all who pass through the front door. The eatery offers a full menu of cleverly named entrees to be enjoyed while listening well-known deceased crooners playing over the sound system.
- Wyldewood Cellars Winery racked up 130 national and international awards for its products. Sweet Country Wines are available in up to five different levels of sweetness and the Kansas-based company also offers jellies, syrups and fudge.
- Hooters is the place to be for the crowd looking for a casual atmosphere, 50s and 60s music and spicy chicken wings.
Kraft said officials with Red Development are eyeing a November "soft opening date" for Dave & Buster's, The Legends Theater and some other businesses to open their doors to customers. A larger-scale grand-opening celebration is planned for April 2006, when The Legends is expected to be operating at 90 percent of capacity.
As a part of the development's most recent announcement, officials said they entered the final lease negotiations stages with representatives from Books-A-Million, American Eagle Outfitters, Saddle Ranch Chop House, Carter's Children, Mrs. Fields Cookies and MeMa's Specialty Bakery.
Though the development company did not say exactly how many more new names would be joining The Legends before the April grand opening celebration, Kraft did say future customers can expect more news in the near future.
"We hope (to make announcements of new tenants) every couple of months," Kraft said. "We have been waiting until we group some of them together before announcing them."