Veterans of Foreign Wars set ceremony for Glenwood
Basehor Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 11499 will mark Memorial Day next week at Glenwood Cemetery in Basehor.
The VFW was scheduled to install a flagpole at the cemetery Wednesday afternoon, new VFW commander Fred Box said. The new flagpole will be used to raise the flag to half-staff Monday.
In addition to placing miniature flags on veterans' graves at the cemetery, the VFW will have Taps ceremonies every hour on the hour from 8 a.m. to noon on Memorial Day.
Here's a look at Memorial Day activities at other area cemeteries:
- At Holy Angels Cemetery, which is between Basehor and Tonganoxie, a Mass will be said at 10 a.m. Monday.
- Tonganoxie's VFW Park will be the center of Memorial Day activities in Tonganoxie. The park is a block east of First and Main. At 2 p.m. Sunday, the VFW's annual Memorial Day Service will be held in the park.
- Memorial Day services at McLouth Cemetery will be at 11 a.m. Monday.
- Services at Wildhorse Cemetery, southeast of McLouth, will be at 2 p.m. Monday.
- There will be a memorial service at 2 p.m. Sunday at Fall Creek Cemetery.
- There will be another memorial service at 2:30 p.m. Sunday in Eagle Cemetery.