LHS survives scare from Perry, advances to regional playoffs
Lions to face Holton in rematch of last year’s regional playoff game
For the second straight year, the Lansing High football team is the bidistrict champion, but a pesky squad from Perry-Lecompton almost didn't allow it to happen.
Perry (8-2) had a chance to tie the game with 1:18 remaining, but on fourth and four from the Lansing 16-yard line, the Kaws elected to go for the win. Quarterback David Foltz's pass to Daniel Hemme on the far sideline was a little off-target and Hemme dropped the ball out of bounds.
Lansing 31, Perry 28.
Perry looked poised to shake off last Thursday's 24-21 overtime loss to Tonganoxie as it played tough defense early and surged to an early 7-0 lead on Foltz's 15-yard touchdown run with 5:44 left in the first quarter.
Lansing (9-1) answered with a one-yard touchdown run from senior Jeff Slater that tied the game early in the second quarter. Perry responded with a 14-yard touchdown run from Sean Blosser that gave the Kaws a 14-7 lead.
The Lions bounced back with two touchdowns in 24 seconds - a 71-yard touchdown strike from Matt Warner to Slater, followed by an interception from Joe Kohl and a 21-yard touchdown pass from Warner to Ryan Robbins - to take a 21-14 lead. Robbins added a 37-yard field goal as time expired, giving LHS a 24-14 lead at halftime.
Cory McPherson scored on a 49-yard run early in the third quarter to pull Perry within three, but another interception by Kohl set a one-yard touchdown by Lance Fink that gave Lansing a 31-21 lead with 2:09 left in the third quarter.
Lansing looked poised to close out the victory, but a fumble by Kyle Grape gave the ball back to Perry. Foltz connected with McPherson on a 35-yard strike to make the score 31-28 with 2:07 remaining. Matt Merritt recovered the onside kick and the Kaws drove all the way to the Lansing 16 before coming up just short.
Lansing will play host to Holton on Saturday in the regional playoffs. Game time will be announced on Wednesday morning.
For a more thorough report from Lansing's victory over Perry, as well as a preview of the game against Holton, pick up the Nov. 3 edition of The Current.
- Matt Warner completed nine of 16 passes for 191 yards and two touchdowns.
- Jeff Slater rushed 14 times for 82 yards and a touchdown and one catch for a 71-yard touchdown.
- Lance Fink rushed 12 times for 77 yards and a touchdown.
- David Kern had two catches for 40 yards.
- Ryan Robbins had three catches for 45 yards.
- J.T. Collins had two catches for 35 yards.
- Joe Kohl had 18 tackles, two interceptions and one forced fumble.
- Jason Bowman had Lansing's only sack. It came in the fourth quarter and was good for a nine-yard loss.
- Logan Ryan had 11 tackles.
- Robbins and Justin Smith each had nine tackles.
- Kern had eight tackles.
- Lansing piled up 374 yards of total offense to Perry's 359 yards.