Archive for Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Lansing drills Wyandotte; Miege is next

Bayless nets hat trick during easy win

October 25, 2005

The Lansing High boys soccer team needed less than 37 minutes to achieve a 10-goal spread against Wyandotte on Tuesday afternoon during the Lions' 10-0 regional playoff victory at Lansing Middle School.

Still, Kansas State High School Activities Association rules mandate that all games must last for at least a half, so the Lions had three bonus minutes to work on their passing skills.

The extra few minutes of practice may serve Lansing well when it plays host to Bishop Miege at 4:30 p.m. Thursday in the regional championship. The Lions (15-2) will need their passes to be as crisp and their shots as accurate as possible against the Stags (12-4-1).

"We're the better team, so we expected to have this kind of outcome," LHS coach Randy Brown said of the quick victory.

The Lions appeared to lack focus a bit during the opening minutes as they struggled to play the ball to the feet. They settled down after about four minutes, though, and the offensive onslaught began. First, freshman midfielder Clayton Hall buried a shot from 18 yards out that put the Lions ahead, 1-0. Senior midfielder Mike Bayless struck five minutes later when he ripped a shot from 25 yards out that slipped cleanly through a crowd in the box and into the net.

"We were a little bit slow (at first), and that's the hard part about regionals. You've got to be able to get on them quick and do what you've got to do," Brown said. "We got a couple of goals in, but it wasn't really until later on in the game that we really started putting some goals in."

After an eight-minute span where the Lions misfired four times from close range, Andy Dick scored. Bayless added a goal two minutes later. Then, in the 27th minute, Bayless completed his hat trick as he stole the ball in the box, wheeled around and scored from 15 yards out to put LHS on top, 5-0.

As quickly as the goals were coming, the Lions needed just 6:05 to score their final five goals. Beginning with Ty Thackston's goal with 9:53 remaining in the first half, followed by to goals from Brad Mock, one from Nolan Bohannon and a final score by Steffen Schumann with 3:48, the lead doubled.

The Lions then spent the final minutes passing the ball around to run out the clock.

Junior goalkeeper Alex Burton collected the shutout for Lansing. Wyandotte didn't attempt a shot on goal all game.


Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.