Firefighters rescue trapped pilot
A small one-seat private plane overshot the runway and collided with a fence at Highcrest Air Park, at 163rd Street and Gilman Road, at about 12:30 Sunday afternoon.
Leavenworth County Fire District No. 1 Chief Rick Huhn said the pilot, James Kirk, Lansing, was practicing takeoffs and landings on the airstrip there and overshot the runway when landing.
The plane hit a fence at the end of the runway and rolled over, trapping Kirk inside for about 12 minutes before a Fire District No. 1 team arrived.
Firefighters rolled the plane back over, and pulled the pilot out. The pilot was unharmed and was not taken to the hospital, Huhn said.
More like this story
- Kansas City Connection: The art of ‘Rising Up,’ and visiting some old haunts
- Kansas CIty Connection: Fall chock-full of colorful events
- Renovations at Kansas Aviation Museum nearly complete
- Kansas City Connection: Fourth of July fireworks, folk art at the Nelson
- Kansas City Connection: Library activities go way beyond books