Basehor youth attends space camp
Ian Smith, son of James and Laura Smith of Basehor, attended level 2 of the Future Astronaut Training Program this summer at the Kansas Cosmosphere and Space Center in Hutchinson.
Ian is an eighth-grader at Basehor-Linwood Middle School.
The weeklong camp builds on the basic knowledge students gained from successfully completing the level 1 camp. In preparation for an extended simulated space shuttle mission, participants underwent a full day of scuba training and underwater extra vehicular activity exercises with certified dive instructors.
Their simulated shuttle mission included rendezvous and docking with the International Space Station, satellite repair and a student-piloted landing.
More like this story
- Kansas City Connection: Ugly sweaters, Legos for adults and KU basketball at the Sprint Center
- Wichita teachers challenged to teach refugee children
- BSHS grad creates website to promote prep athletes
- Parent thanks USD 204 staff for education of her special-needs son
- Kansas City Connection: Where comics, movies and TV shows come to life